Monday, July 13, 2009

Putting the home studio to work

So, one of the blogs that I regularly follow is Strobist. Its a mostly reference for and collection of great photo ideas. One of the resent posts had to do with food photography (there are several other older ones). It got me thinking of what I could practice with around the house. The only good looking item that could survive my unairconditioned climate was a bottle of Woodford Reserve. For non bourbon snobs, this is some really good bourbon. I wanted to go on a tour during my recent trip to Kentucky, but we just couldn't fit it into the time we had.

So anyway, I took a trip to Home Depot and Michael's and got some supplies; plexiglass, painter's tape, felt, and paper. I used my studio lights (AlienBees if you're interested) which I originally thought were going to be way overpowering. It took some tweaking, but I was able to get several dramatic shots. This was also my first time doing a glass/liquid study, which was more difficult than I thought. So, from all the results I like it on black the best, as seen here. I'd appreciate any comments on this photo or others.

Note: I had some problems with image posting. Not sure if it was my fault or the editor. I realize that a blog for a photographer should probably contain photos, so I'm working on it. Just all so new to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment